Fire

Physical Address
4820 Salida Blvd
Salida, CA 95368

Mailing Address
4820 Salida Blvd
Salida, CA 95368
P. (209) 545-0365
F. (209) 545-3840

Salida Fire is now considered Modesto Regional Fire Authority as of 2012
3705 Oakdale Road
Modesto, CA 95357
P. (209) 552-3600

 

Mission Statement

The mission of the Fire Department is to provide efficient and effective fire and life safety protection to the community through control of hostile fire, fire prevention services, emergency medical services, emergency preparedness, and mitigation of hazardous materials incidents.

Salida Fire Protection District History

In the middle 1920’s, a hose cart was purchased which carried 250 ft. of hose. It was housed in a shed centrally located in the community. At this time there were also 8 to 10 hydrants scattered throughout the community. In the event a fire occurred, members of the community would drag the cart to the scene of the fire and attempt to control the blaze.

In 1942 the Board of Directors of the Stanislaus County Mutual Fire Insurance Company appointed 5 men, Luther Thompson, M. Shelly, C.L. Connacher, George Prickett, and Henery Abendschan to organize a Volunteer Fire Department for the unincorporated area of Salida. These men would make up the Board of Directors for the new Department and the Stanislaus County Fire Insurance Company would provide a fire engine for the Department’s use. The only downfall to this set up was, if you had a fire and you were insured by their organization, their services were free of charge. However, a person serviced by the department who wasn’t insured by their Company would be billed.

In September, 1955 the Salida Volunteer Fire Department was formed. The community felt a fire district should be established as an arm of the County government. This type of special district would have the ability to levy a small tax to provide equipment and operating expenses which would function under the County Board of Supervisors.

The Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors appointed a five-member commission to supervise the business of the Volunteer Department. The original Commissioners appointed were Ray Abendschan, Chairman, Charles Wilder, Elvin DeBoer, I.E. Berlinger, and Harold Reinke. In 1966 the Salida Volunteer Fire Department changed its name to the Salida Fire Protection District. Currently the district is governed by five elected board of directors.

 

Salida Fire Protection District
Board of Directors
Tom Burns – Chair
Mark Brubaker – Vice Chair
Dave Boyd
Jerry DeBoer
Emil Rusca